Thursday, June 16, 2016

EMD SW1 Cornwall Railroad 16 sitting outside the machine shop September 24, 1958.
The Prototype Location:
General Location of the Cornwall RR. The pin labeled Cornwall Railroad Shops is where my layout starts. The pin labeled Cornwall Ore Banks Ore bins is the general location of the Cornwall Mines and where the layout ends. 
I thought I'd give you a general location on the area I'm modeling. If you're not from around the area, you've probably never heard of the Cornwall Railroad. There are a couple of websites http://www.cornwallrailroad.com/ and http://home.dejazzd.com/jmattern/home.htm. Visit them if you would like more info. 

The Model Plan and Construction: 
The pin I have up there on the map above, labeled Cornwall Railroad Shops, is my current focus of my layout. I'm modeling the shops the way they looked during the 1950s. Here is the track plan for the Cornwall Railroad shop area. Based on this track plan, I'd say that the photographer would have been standing by the store house when they took the photo of Cornwall 16. I've also added some benchwork construction photos. 
The module is constructed in sections that are bolted together with 1/4" bolts.
First section. The Machine Shop building will be located in this section. 
4 Sections fitted together before bolts were added. 

The completed workbench frame. Constructed of 3/4" plywood ripped to 3 1/2" width.
This room is a temporary location for the layout.

No comments:

Post a Comment